Wednesday 25 September 2013

A working God!

I've been back in Bedford for a few days now and I've finally started working at the church. But before I go in to that I'd like to update you on what we did during our last week of training. 
   So, we left London and the William Booth college to head up to the Yorkshire Dales. We arrived quite late and my first impression was,"oh man, it's really cold up here". Yes I know I'm from Sweden and I should be used to this type of weather but man, the fall comes like a chock every year and I'm never ready for it!! The morning after when I was on my way to get breakfast I was in chock. Not because it was cold but the view was amazing! I've never seen anything like it. You could see all across the valley and it was almost like I was a hobbit being in the Shire. Breath taking! 

Andrew Grinnell had a few sessions with us about finding God in the community and mission. He showed us around his community and told us about the work he and his wife are doing there. It's quite a poor area that used to be more "alive" before the cole mine was shut down. He and his wife came to this community with the mission of "open hands, open hearts and open eyes". It got me thinking about not to come to a new community or a new place with the attitude of "these people need help" and rather be a friend and supporter at let the people see for them self Gods work in me and God will do his work in them. You may not see it but I believe a seed will be planted in their hearts. 

Have you heard of interfaith? That's something else we've talked and learned about. A women from the organisation called The Feast paid us a visit and talked about their work. Basically it's an organisation that brings teenagers from different faiths together to learn from each other and to get an understanding of what it means to be a Christian or a Muslim etc. It helps them to see what the media exaggerates about other faiths and it builds a more peaceful community. 

I wish you all a good week and you'll hear more from me in a few days.

Malin!




No comments:

Post a Comment